Pro-Ject Phono Box S3 B phono stage is the first in Pro-Ject's true balanced connections concept. You can use the RCA inputs with any turntable as per usual - but the balanced input can be used with suitable turntables for a fully balanced connection - Pro-Ject started with the X8 Superpack turntable with more to follow.
Keeping You Balanced
One of the key parts of the S3 B is the 5 pin balanced mini XLR input which allows your turntable to truly shine with both channels being able to marry up as one to extract that last little percentile out of the audio signal creating a fully rounded and pleasurable listening experience without waste and eliminating excess noise that is added into the chain on the left and right field of audio.
The gain stage of the S3 B is a fully discrete affair with individual components used – so no integrated parts here allowing for more expansive autological experience without compromising on quality of construction.
Keeping It Equal-ized
Pro-Ject bring the RIAA equalisation technology over to the S3 B with a semi-passive EQ which treats the balanced XLR input with precision and delivers a signal to the left and right XLR output in perfect symmetry whilst the RCA outputs which are by nature singular are delivered direct from source again minimising any wastage and giving your audio the fighting chance in your system.
It's a Top-Loader
Starting with the S2 as a baseline, Pro-Jects engineers sought to find the best solution to setup your turntables and store them to a system memory, which has been achieved and surpassed by the S3 B with the option of two turntables being connected simultaneously whilst not compromising on the signal or capacity of the unit.
The S3 B allows for a wider spectrum of sound than before with 40dB up to 65dB being attainable, which alone is a marvel of design which has been made possible thanks to the balanced input, allowing for an even closer match with everything else in your setup – be it a CD player or other streaming options.
- 5-pin mini XLR balanced input
- Fully symmetrical & discrete gain stage
- Easy settings adjustment on the faceplate
- MM & MC capable
- Dual mono design
- Semi-passive RIAA equalization
- Superior low noise / low distortion
- Aluminium casing protects against interference
- Made in Europe
- Input impedance: 10, 50, 100, 1k, 47k ohms
- Input capacitance: 50, 150, 300, 400 pF
- Gain (+ 6dB using XLR Out): 40, 45, 60, 65 dB
- SNR MM (40dB): 103dBV, 110dBV - ‚A‘ weighted
- SNR MC (60dB): 85dBV, 90dBV - ‚A‘ weighted
- THD at 1 kHz: <0,001% MM, < 0,005% MC
- THD (20Hz-20kHz): <0,008% MM, < 0,01% MC
- RIAA-equalization curve accuracy: <0,3dB / 20Hz - 20kHz
- Subsonic filter: at 20Hz with 18dB/octave
- Input: 1x 5-pin mini XLR / 1x pair RCA phono sockets
- Line-level output: 1x pair RCA, 1x pair XLR
- Power supply DC: 18V/500mA
- Power consumption: 18V/170mA DC, <0.5 W in standby
- Dimensions: 206 x 55 x 153 (164 with sockets) mm
- Weight: 930g without power supply